A Decade of Growth
Carnival got its start in 1972 with a single ship, the Mardi Gras, a converted ocean liner that featured several innovative elements along with a festive onboard ambiance unlike any other cruise ship sailing at the time. The success of the Mardi Gras was instrumental in Carnival’s growth.
In March 2013, Carnival visited UPL in the hopes of finding a recruitment agency that shares the same vision of providing opportunities to their Filipino Crew. UPL was given distinction over other manning agencies since UPL focuses on its crew. A few months later, Carnival decided to work alongside UPL. And by February 14, 2014, a partnership between the two has been forged.
This partnership has resulted in the deployment 11,500 of Filipino seafarers. During this time, it is worth mentioning that:
- Since 2014, an annual constant growth in deployment of 17%
- 25% was seen – Deployment per month rose from 402 to 1800 or more since the partnership started
- The relationship flourished because UPL and CCL are working on a regional partnership in the Asia Pacific region
The COVID Pandemic
During the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, the partnership between UPL and CCL grew stronger during its repatriation efforts. During this time:
- over 11,000 Philippine global team members were repatriated
- 678 Total foreign team members were repatriated
- 68 Different nationalities were repatriated
- partnerships with multiple Philippine government agencies were established and strengthened
Around 2021, a need for a ramp-up in the deployment of positions was called. During this time:
- Over 13,000 Philippine team members were re-deployed
- Across 236 positions
- There was a 3x monthly crew volume requirements vs pre-pandemic, utilizing the same number of staff
- In-house efficiency processes to adapt to pandemic requirements were developed
Moving Towards the Future
The commitment to this partnership is now stronger than ever, and it is highlighted by the creation of the new TM Center office located in Pasay City. Here, UPL and Carnival have set up their operations side by side to provide the best quality of service to their crew.
The TM Center not only signifies a physical presence but also symbolizes a shared vision and dedication to excellence. We aim to enhance operational efficiency, optimize crew support services, and ultimately strengthen the foundation of a long-lasting and mutually beneficial partnership. The establishment of this center is a testament to the commitment to delivering top-notch services and upholding the highest standards in the maritime industry.